Thursday, September 4, 2008

Something Else About Ocho Cinco...

I know I'm supposed to be watching the Giants/Redskins game, but our Scott Garbarini is there covering it so I'm going to take one eye off the TV to weigh in on the newly-ordained Chad Ocho Cinco. Frankly, I've got no real problem with it. There are dumber names in the NFL. I'm just glad he changed it to something I won't have trouble spelling - Chad Houshmandzadeh would have been a problem.

Anyway, I have a scenario for you. The 2008 season ends with the Bengals in typical disarray, and Chad and Cincinnati decide to part ways. Since he'll be smack-dab in the middle of the six-year extension he signed in April of 2006, Cincinnati will be inclined to move him via a trade.

At the same time, the 2008 season ends poorly for the Rams, and the team decides to trade (as they explored doing this past March) top wideout Torry Holt. Now in the market for a wide receiver, St. Louis and whoever its next coach is decide Chad Ocho Cinco fits their needs.

Bengals and Rams agree to trade. Just one problem though - the man whose name translates in Spanish to "eight, five" has been moved to a team where the No. 85 has been retired in honor of Jack Youngblood (the Lions are the other team for which 85 is retired). What does Chad do now? He either refuses to report to the Rams or changes his name again, I guess. Chad Ocho Seis? Chad Doce? Or maybe back to Chad Johnson. Whatever he does, he looks like a fool, though at this point I'm kind of figuring that doesn't matter to him a whole lot.

I know it's far-fetched, but wouldn't that be fun?

No comments: